Sunday, May 12, 2013

Germany bound

I absolutely loved Brussels. I made some hostel friends (from Georgia, Michigan, London, Toronto, and Sydney) and we hit a local microbrewery called Delirium, which was highly recommended by some locals. I had a delicious cherry beer called Floris Kriek, which tasted basically like Kool-Aid with a splash of beer in it. (Uh-oh.) A few of those (and maybe some tequila shots) and my new friends and I were like old college buddies, acting like fools in the middle of the dance floor.

I didn't want to leave.

We got back to the hostel around 4:30am, but not because the bars were closing. I'm pretty sure they never close in Europe. I slept in until 9:30am, cleaned up my room, showered, and checked out of my hostel. Hitched a cab ride to Brussels-Midi train station and purchased a ticket to Frankfurt. The train, which stopped in Lieges and Cologne, was so packed the first hour of the trip that I had to stand. How do you say "claustrophobia" in German? Ja!

Frankfurt is gorgeous, though I didn't see much of it. I headed right for the information kiosk, gave an employee the address to my flat, and he showed me how to buy a ticket to Hattenheim station for €7,40. Crazy how cheap the trains are here! Forty five minutes and tons of stops later, I arrive at the Hattenheim station, all of 90 yards from my adorable flat!

Tomorrow is my first day of school (I joked with my mother that it's my 50th first day of school) and I can't wait to meet my new brilliant classmates.

New friends in Brussels:














No comments:

Post a Comment